The company was formed by radio technician, Doug Stewart in 1934. Originally trading as Stewart Radios he sold and serviced early model radios such as Zenith, Atwater and Kent. After war service as a Radio Operator with RNZAF forces in the Pacific, Doug Stewart formed partnership with Wilf Holland, and founded Stewart and Holland Ltd. The company later merged with another local firm, Allen Kelly Ltd., which specialised in refrigeration installation and servicing.
It was under Allen Kelly before this merger, that the present managing director, and son of the founder, David Stewart served his electrical & refrigeration apprenticeship. David took over upon Allen Kelly's retirement in 1989. Soon after in 1991, Ken Borland joined the company as service manager and director. Ken retired in 2003 and opened up the opportunity for Mark Cartwright (Service Manager) and Armand Van Der Eik (Showroom Manager) to buy into the company as directors.
Presently, Stewart and Holland has 16 full time staff, and nine service vehicles. Electrical wiring, air conditioning, and the servicing of milk silo refrigeration covers much of the South Island, from Central Otago to the West Coast and up as far as Kaikoura.
A long way from the vision of one man and his radio set in Ashburton in the 1930's.